Friday, March 15, 2013

Stir it up!

Just a quick little post from sunny Denver...it was 74 today!  There were just enough clouds in the sky to make you hopeful that today might be the day that He comes back....just enough sun to make you want to soak it up with bare arms after months of freezing temps...just enough school and chores to feel productive...and not quite enough but still sweet time with awesome people and their kiddos!  Ahhhh...I have a feeling spring is going to be a beautiful season here in Denver.



I love how even though our life is super full at the moment, it is still so sweet.  Jesus just hooked up the joy today!  It's funny how as the kids get older a part of me misses the little baby stages...but another part of me is having SO MUCH FUN!  They are older and just plain fun.  Abigail and I listened to a podcast today while making snicker doodles (Abigail's request) and Seth played out in the back yard desperately waiting for them to be done and reinventing his "obstacle course" over and over.  Too cool.  This life rocks!

But here's what I was really going to say (this quick post is gonna get long if I don't get to it huh!?!)  Tonight we are having soup for dinner.  Inexpensive, healthy, easy, lasts two nights...it's a score all around.  So tonight, as I was about to serve myself a bowl full of chicken and veggies, I almost forgot to stir it up!  My bowl was almost all celery and carrots and no chicken and potatoes!  Not a tasty way to eat soup right!?  If you don't stir it up, you miss out on the stuff that settles...usually the good stuff like meat. ( I am such carnivore.)

Well, the Lord gently reminded me of something found in a few different places in the Word.  Stir it up baby!

2 peter 1:12-14 is awesome, but vs13 is the one that came to mind...
"Yes, I think it is right, as long as I am in this tent, to stir you up by reminding you..."

Our minds are just like this my soup!  Well, sorta.  Here's what I mean.  We take a lot of info into our brains.  There are so many facts and memories and moments floating through our brains everyday and we just plain can't remember it all.  It's funny...the memories that are the clearest from when the kids were babies( and I was a zombie) are the ones that I scrapbooked.  I think its because I would look back through the scrapbook on occasion and it just stirred up my memories.  The Lord was like hey that's one of the reasons you're supposed to read your Bible every day!  Cause you FORGET!  Am I the only one who does this? Let's be honest here....  So I need to be reminded!  That's one of the reasons I read my Bible, listen to podcasts, share with my kids the things God is sharing with me, and hang out with other believers that I know will remind and challenge me.  Cause I am forgetful and He doesn't want all that good stuff to settle to the bottom.

The other verse that came to mind as I was stirring up my soup was 2 Timothy 1:6
"...stir up the gift of God which is in you..."

Oh man this one is a little harder for me right now.  As I read this, it super challenged me!!!  We know from God's Word that He has given all of us gifts.  Some of us know and use those gifts.  Some of us (okay, ME) know the gifts and are afraid to step out....afraid to be used...afraid to look like a fool.  So we (I) let these gifts that He has given settle down to the bottom of our spiritual crock pot and happily scoop from the top (am I taking the soup analogy too far here?)

Have you ever given someone a gift, one you were really excited about because you had put so much thought into it and you knew it was just perfect for them?  Have you ever found that gift on the floor of their closet, unused...sometimes even unopened?  I cannot even imagine the heart of my Father in heaven right now.....dude, Ive got some searching to do in my heart for sure.  Pray for me in that okay? But here's the cool part...I think Jesus is just too gracious to let the gifts settle down to the bottom of the crock pot!  I feel like sometimes He allows the stormy seasons in life to be the spoon that stirs up His gifts.  I believe He allows that yucky boss or that crazy toddler or newborn or that move across the United States of America to stir up the gift of God which is in us.  The challenge for me?  Will I let Him stir me up?  Or will I whine and complain because things feel a bit agitated?  Oh how I wish I had the eyes of Jesus so that I could see my life the way He sees it...so that I could see that the stirring up is truly a gracious and beautiful thing.



No comments:

Post a Comment